Get ready to build literacy skills in a way that’s FUN for students and EASY to prep! These October reading comprehension passages are part of a monthly resource to teach and review essential reading, writing, and grammar skills.
This resource includes FOUR original, high-interest reading passages with a heavy focus on a specific reading skill.
Each original text includes FIVE days of reading tasks (for a total of 20 days!)
- Day One – Read, annotate, and evaluate a text
- Day Two – Graphic organizer that focuses on the skill of the week
- Day Three – Using pictures to teach and review the reading skill
- Day Four – Read and respond questions
- Day Five – Writing prompts
Each page has been created with a clean design and easy-to-read fonts so it’s simple to use!
October Literacy Skill of the Week Covers the Following Skills:
- Reading Skill Focus: Compare and Contrast
- Figurative Language: Alliteration, Onomatopoeia
- Grammar Focus: Types of Sentences (Simple, Compound, Complex)
- Writing Focus: Argumentative/Opinion Writing
- NOTE: This resource also reviews the skills covered in August and September
*Use any combination of days to fit your needs!*
October Skills, Story and Passage Topics:
- Reading Skill (Compare and Contrast): National Pumpkin Day (Fiction)
- Grammar (Types of Sentences): Halloween Helper (Fiction)
- Figurative Language (Alliteration & Onomatopoeia): Mad Hatter Day (NF)
- Writing (Argumentative/Opinion Writing): Raking up the FALLen Leaves (NF)
Each page has been created with a clean design and easy-to-read fonts to make them more accessible to all students.
Once a skill has been introduced, it will be reviewed periodically throughout subsequent months and weeks as well.
Literacy Skill of the Week is perfect for…
- Weekly instruction or practice
- Weekly homework
- Center work
- Morning work
- Test Prep
- Spiral Review
Monthly Topics: While each month's passage and story topics revolve loosely around the given season, most passages and stories can be used throughout the year for extra practice!
Need DIGITAL? We’ve got you covered! A digital, interactive, version is also included! It was created in Google Slides and is ready for Google Classroom.
Answer Keys Included
Grade Levels: This resource is best for grades 4 and 5.
Ready for a whole year of Literacy Skill of the week?
Save BIG with the whole bundle.
© Teaching with a Mountain View
All rights reserved by author.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.