Get ready to build literacy skills this winter holiday season in a way that’s FUN for students and EASY to prep! These December reading comprehension passages are part of a monthly resource to teach and review essential reading, writing, and grammar skills.
This resource includes FOUR original, high-interest reading passages with a heavy focus on a specific reading skill.
Each original text includes FIVE days of reading tasks (for a total of 20 days!)
- Day One – Read, annotate, and evaluate a text
- Day Two – Graphic organizer that focuses on the skill of the week
- Day Three – Using pictures to teach and review the reading skill
- Day Four – Read and respond questions
- Day Five – Writing prompts
Each page has been created with a clean design and easy-to-read fonts so it’s simple to use!
December Literacy Skill of the Week Covers the Following Skills:
- Reading Skill Focus: Point of View and Perspective
- Figurative Language: Literary Devices – Repetition, Irony, Symbolism
- Grammar Focus: Using Commas Correctly
- Writing Focus: Context Clues
- NOTE: This resource also reviews the skills covered in August, September, and October, and November
*Use any combination of days to fit your needs!*
December Skills, Story and Passage Topics:
- The Perfect Gift (Fiction) – Literary Devices – Repetition, Irony, Symbolism *this reading passage mentions “gift giving” and “the holiday season”
- New Year's Resolutions (Fiction)- Point of View and Perspective, analyzing characters
- National Pastry Day (Nonfiction) – Descriptive writing, comma rules
- Winter Solstice (Nonfiction) – context clues,
Each page has been created with a clean design and easy-to-read fonts to make them more accessible to all students.
Once a skill has been introduced, it will be reviewed periodically throughout subsequent months and weeks as well.
Literacy Skill of the Week is perfect for…
- Weekly instruction or practice
- Weekly homework
- Center work
- Morning work
- Test Prep
- Spiral Review
Monthly Topics: While each month's passage and story topics revolve loosely around the given season, most passages and stories can be used throughout the year for extra practice!
Need DIGITAL? We’ve got you covered! A digital, interactive, version is also included! It was created in Google Slides and is ready for Google Classroom.
Answer Keys Included
Grade Levels: This resource is best for grades 4 and 5.
Ready for a whole year of Literacy Skill of the week?
Save BIG with the whole bundle.
© Teaching with a Mountain View
All rights reserved by author.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.