Get ready to MASTER opinion writing with these resources and activities that are perfect for 3rd, 4th and 5th grade students. Students will use samples and checklists to gather a full understanding of opinion writing before moving on to a variety of activities and ways to create their own pieces of persuasive writing.
NOTE: This resource got a HUGE update in July 2022!
Differentiation is easy!
There are many different levels of graphic organizers and writing templates. You choose the level that is right for your class! Want your students to write a single paragraph – there are templates for that! Ready for multi-paragraph essays – those are available too!
Opinion Writing or Argumentative Writing?
There are TWO versions included in your purchase. One version refers to this technique as “opinion writing” and the other uses the term “argumentative writing.” You choose the version that aligns best for YOU!
What is included in this packet?
- Opinion Writing Activities and Resources – PDF version
- Argumentative Writing Activities and Resources – PDF version
- Digital versions of BOTH opinion and argumentative writing
What kinds of opinion writing activities and resources will I find in my download?
- Writing Samples – Two humorous text examples of persuasive writing. Available in two versions: single-paragraph and multi-paragraph. (Includes an annotation guide and reflection worksheet to guide students through the steps of opinion writing).
- Opinion Writing Checklist and Rubric – The checklist and rubric are perfect for use with any opinion essay.
- Linking Words and Phrases – A reference guide to keep on hand while writing.
- Opinion Writing Graphic Organizers – Differentiated graphic organizers that work for any grade level. I highly recommend completing some “backwards planning” with these graphic organizers and having students fill them out based upon the writing samples. This section also includes a sample organizer that has already been completed! Use this sample organizer to have students write a paragraph based on the graphic organizer.
- Paragraph Writing Templates – Writing templates for each grade level. These are perfect to use with any of the 20 writing prompts.
- Task Card Set 1 (20 cards) – These task cards give students a chance to practice different parts of opinion writing and include recording sheets.
- Task Card Set 2 (20 cards) – These task cards include writing prompts with 20 unique opinion topics.
Looking for more engaging writing resources? I have you covered!
– The perfect mentor text resource to help teach opinion writing, informative writing, and narrative writing!