Get ready to build literacy skills in a way that’s FUN for students and EASY to prep! This is a monthly resource to teach and review essential reading, writing, and grammar skills in fourth and fifth grades.
This resource includes FOUR original, high-interest reading passages with a heavy focus on a specific skill each week.
August Literacy Skill of the Week Covers the Following Skills:
- Reading Skill Focus: Main Idea & Inference (Fiction)
- Figurative Language: Similes & Metaphors (Fiction)
- Grammar Focus: Nouns, Verbs, Adjectives, Adverbs (Informational)
- Writing Focus: Context Clues (Informational)
Each original text includes FIVE days of reading tasks for a total of worth of high-quality tasks!
- Day One – Read, annotate, and evaluate a text
- Day Two – Graphic organizer that focuses on the skill of the week
- Day Three – Using pictures to teach and review the reading skill
- Day Four – Read and respond questions
- Day Five – Writing prompts
*Use any combination of days to fit your needs!*
August Story and Passage Topics:
- Main Idea and Inference: The Lighthouse Keeper (Fiction)
- Similes & Metaphors: Tooth fairy Festival (Fiction)
- Nouns, Verbs, Adjectives, and Adverbs: National Mountain Climbing Day (NF)
- Context Clues: Schools Around the World (NF)
Each page has been created with a clean design and easy-to-read fonts to make them more accessible to all students.
Once a skill has been introduced, it will be reviewed periodically throughout subsequent months and weeks as well.
Literacy Skill of the Week is perfect for…
- Weekly instruction or practice
- Weekly homework
- Center work
- Morning work
- Test Prep
- Spiral Review
Monthly Topics: While each month's passage and story topics revolve loosely around the given season, most passages and stories can be used throughout the year for extra practice!
Need DIGITAL? We’ve got you covered! A digital, interactive, version is also included! It was created in Google Slides and ready for Google Classroom.
Grade Levels: This resource is best for grades 4 and 5.
Answer Keys Included
© Teaching with a Mountain View
All rights reserved by author.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.