15 sets of digital and printable paired passages (30 stories total) to help students identify and compare texts in the same genre. These Identifying and Comparing Fiction GENRES Task Cards will help your students master this difficult skill!
There are TWO options for using these cards, depending on your needs! You can also use both sets for scaffolding and differentiation.
(“Identifying Genres”) One story per half-page card for identifying the genre of each story.
: (“Comparing Texts”) Two paired stories on a single page for comparing stories in the same genre. Each page includes two stories (the SAME STORIES that are also in set one) written in the same genre.
What's Included in this Genres Task Cards resource?
- Identifying Genres – 30 fiction passages, students are asked to identify the genre of each passage and identify two clues in the text that reveal the genre.
- Comparing Texts – 15 paired fiction passages (the SAME passages in “identifying genres”, paired together by genre).
- Recording Sheets & Guiding Questions – 2 student worksheet options to use while working with paired passages and prompt cards with questions to encourage students to respond thoughtfully and analytically to the two texts.
- Fiction Genre Chart – A printable reference for the 9 genres referenced in the passages.
- A of “Identifying Genres”, “Comparing Texts”, and student recording sheets with over 90 digitally optimized google slides. Perfect for at-home learning or paperless practice.
The Genres referenced in this resource include:
- Realistic Fiction
- Historical Fiction
- Science Fiction
These task cards are perfect for Common Core Standard RL.3.9, RL.4.9, RL.5.9 . The stories are brief to help students feel comfortable with the content and concept. The cards are recommended for grades 3+. They are perfect for introducing, assessing, or reviewing the concept of comparing and identifying stories in the same genre.
**This set has been completely edited and revised as of April 2021
I also have an INFORMATIONAL TEXT VERSION!
Comparing Texts on the Same Topic Task Cards
MORE Reading Task Cards!
Analyzing Firsthand and Secondhand Accounts of the Same Event Task Cards
Informational Text Comprehension Task Cards
Informational Text Structures Task Cards
There are no reviews yet.